Saturday, February 16, 2013

This Jar of Clay Knows Nothing



Power.  Such a strong word with so many different meanings.  People can have power of strength, power of authority, power of attorney, power of love – tons of supposed power.  But what type of power does God have?  Well…everything, all of it.

“Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God.”  Psalm 62:11

I started looking today for Scripture that spoke of power – and I was shocked at how many I found.  I really shouldn’t have been surprised, right?  Why should I be surprised at how many different times the Bible speaks of God’s power?  Well, because I don’t know my Bible as well as I should.  I was convicted by a verse that showed me just how much I don’t know. 

“But Jesus answered them, ‘You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.”  Matthew 22:29

I won’t know the power of God until I know better the Scriptures that speak of God’s power.  And so, I won’t be able to know God’s power in my life until then.  But even as I was going over these thoughts, another thought popped into my head – “Yes, I do know my Bible!  I know hundreds of songs for Bible verses and I’ve read through my Bible more than a few times in my life.  I do know my Bible!”  Arrogant, aren’t I?

I sometimes find myself sitting in this chair, reminding myself that I’m a good person.  Pathetic, I know – but who doesn’t do that sometimes?  And sometimes, I tell myself that I know better what should happen in the life of Melissa Willis.  I turn to God and question His plan and decisions.  And because GOD has the power and I don’t, this is the perfect response for my questioning.

“But who are you, O man, to answer back to God?  Will what is molded say to its molder, ‘Why have you made me like this?’  Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use?”  Romans 9:20-21

And so, as it so often happens, I am humbled by my “righteous arrogance”.  I am brought low – where I belong.  I’m shown the great power that God has and I’m reminded of my own insignificance.  My doubts and fears and challenges to God begin to turn.  Sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly, almost always painfully – but it always happens.

When faith replaces doubt, when selfless service eliminates selfish striving, the power of God brings to pass His purposes.  ~Thomas S Monson

So instead of doubting and striving to “fix” my life right now, I should just focus on having faith.  Not faith in my own power but faith through God’s power.  Faith in my own power is no faith at all – but faith through God’s power is perfect faith…and according to Scripture – this is the only faith worth bragging about…because I didn’t stick my own arrogant and prideful hands into the mix.  Only when I give up trying to fix things; will things get fixed.  Interesting concept, isn’t it?

“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  2 Corinthians 12:9

Realizing this not-of-this-world concept is hard enough.  But knowing that perhaps God has placed me in this particular situation to bring Him glory is even harder.  And knowing that perhaps God has placed me here to show me His power and cause me to proclaim His name is just plain humbling…but also comforting.  It’s hard to know that your future isn’t in your own hands but it’s encouraging to know that God has it all figured out…and there’s really nothing to fear or doubt or worry about.

“But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.”  Exodus 9:16

This Lord of power has ordained, before the foundations of the earth, when Shawn and I will have children.  He knew it thousands of years before I was even on this earth.  And to think that I, in my 31 years of life, should try to override that omnipotent power is just silly and prideful.  My life rests in the power of this God, and I hope to someday experience His all-consuming power through the children He will give us.

 “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy – the Son of God…For nothing will be impossible with God.”  Luke 1:35, 37

Sometimes I think there is no hope.  Some would say my situation is hopeless.  But NOTHING will be impossible with God.  And to that hope, I will hold.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment